Monday, September 8, 2014

Menu Plan: September 8

Last Week

On Friday night we loaded up our friends in the car and drove to Sun Prairie for pizza at Salvatore's Tomato Pies.  Excellent!! We ordered three pizzas -- a plain cheese, a pepperoni, and the special, which had scallops, heirloom tomatoes, ricotta, fancy pepper, and some sort of butter sauce.  Yum!

On Saturday we did an express, high-speed trip to Chicago for my friend Woojin's wedding and then headed to JoongBoo Korean Market on our way home.  We were in Chicago for about 7-8 hours.  The wedding was on the Odyssey ship, we boarded at Navy Pier, attended the wedding on the top deck, and then cruised around the area and had hors d'oeuvres, drinks, and a really nice lunch.  I don't think I've been to an afternoon wedding, and most definitely not a wedding on a boat.  We were home by about 7 p.m. but we had Sonny D spend the night with his grandparents, it was his first time spending the night without us.  When we talk about his first sleepover, he says "I want to try that again."  Nice!  I'm glad we tried it and glad it worked out so well.
Wedding on a boat!
Beautiful day for a wedding. Navy Pier Ferris wheel in the background.
Bride and groom stabbing the cake.
On Sunday morning I was actually able to sleep in until a little after 8 because Husband Jeff went over to his parents to hang out with Sonny D.  So nice!  I went to the farmers' market by myself and I picked up picked tomatillos and a couple onions so I can make salsa verde and can it this week. 

This Week

By Thursday and Friday of this week, the weather will cool down a lot.  The high here will be 59 on Thursday and 55 on Friday.

  • Monday - creamy mac & cheese (using butternut squash as part of the sauce base), miso-roasted delicata squash, and sesame green beans.  I prepped dough over lunch so Sonny D and I can bake coffee-cinnamon cookies after dinner. 
  • Tuesday - Shakshuka (eggs cooked in tomato sauce), banana bites, and Asian melon.  Dinner has to be quick so I can head to Zumba class afterwards.
  • Wednesday - burgers on the grill, sweet potato tots, and grilled leeks.  Maybe canning today. 
  • Thursday - I need to make a treat for a work meeting, so I'm going to make brownies from a mix but add mint from my garden to spice them up.  The kicker is that I'm not going to work on Friday, so I'll stop by to deliver them.  For dinner we'll have either a layered taco dish or cheeseburger casserole, both of them take advantage of the pre-cooked ground beef I've got in the freezer. 
  • Friday - I'm taking the day off to do my volunteer shift and shop at the Half-Pint Resale event like I do every spring and fall.  I'm taking advantage of the time off to also get my hair highlighted and have a massage.  Husband Jeff and Sonny D are getting dinner at the nearby church's fish & chicken supper.  I'm hoping for some leftovers!
  • Saturday - I've got Core Fusion starting back up for the fall semester.  It's also the morning of Trucks & Treasures at the same park, so I'm planning I will walk over to meet up with Husband Jeff and Sonny D when I get done.  In the afternoon and evening, we're going to Jeff's coworker's house for a company get together. It doesn't look like it's going to be warm for the event, so hopefully we'll be inside! 
  • Sunday - The standard Northside farmers' market visit in the morning.  Then in the afternoon we're heading over to our friend's house for Chucktemberfest.  I think it's the third or fourth annual Chucktemberfest, which is a grillout at Chuck's house.  

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!