Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Slow Cooker Cheese Tortellini

I wanted to try this recipe since it was so easy. 

Inspiration

Crystal and Company crockpot ravioli

I had some frozen artichoke hearts that had no other purpose, so I added them to this dish.  I also threw in about 1/2 cup frozen shredded zucchini.

Ingredients

serves 5
  • 1 package frozen ravioli or tortelli (mine was about 20 oz.)
  • 1 jar pasta sauce (24 oz)
  • any veggies you might want to add -- zucchini, artichoke hearts, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach, chopped tomatoes
Throw the frozen pasta and sauce and any veggies you want in the slow cooker and cook on high heat for 3 hours or 6-8 hours on low.  You can also add shredded cheese for the last 30 minutes. 
pasta and sauce

Verdict

Quick, but not that great.  How hard is it to boil pasta and heat up sauce anyway?

I wish I had paid more attention to how this needed to cook, it was supposed to be 3 hours on high, which equates to 6-8 hours on low.  Luckily I used my small slow cooker and it was in there for probably close to 5 hours, and they were done.

I thought it needed a bit more water since it was rather thick when it came time to serve.

This wasn't anything fabulous, but I don't know if it was the tortellini (we've never had them before) or the cooking method. We all ate it, but it wasn't like we were clamoring for the leftovers.  I served this with salads and steamed carrots and it made 5.5 servings -- 2 adult servings and 1 toddler serving plus three servings for leftovers. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!