InspirationWeight Watchers Mexican beef over polenta
I used one of my batches of pre-cooked frozen ground beef, added a can of black beans, added garlic, skipped the Kalamata olives, used a tube of pre-cooked polenta from Trader Joe's, added a little salsa cream cheese and chicken stock paste to flavor the polenta.
This would be dairy-free if you use a vegan cheese or leave out the cheese altogether. And it's gluten-free. To make it vegetarian, you could use a vegetarian crumbles, add some roasted veggies instead of the meat, or just use beans.
Ingredientsmakes 6 servings
- 1 pound(s) 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can Mexicorn (ours was a chipotle blend)
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes with green chiles (Rotel)
- 1Tablespoon chipotle in adobo
- 14 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tube (18 oz) pre-cooked polenta
- 2 Tablespoons salsa cream cheese (optional, or light plain, it adds a creamy richness)
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken stock paste (optional, just a good way to flavor polenta)
- 1/2 cup water to thin out polenta
- 1/3 cup fat free salsa (I used canned salsa casera)
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
DirectionsIf you can remember to do it, defrost the frozen ground beef ahead of time. I throw the gallon bag in the fridge the night before and it's defrosted by dinner the next day.
VerdictYou'd call me a liar if I said this was a light recipe, but it totally is!
This was so good! Husband Jeff and I liked this a lot. We both really like Mexican food. Sonny D isn't a fan, I don't think he even tasted it. I was so glad we had leftovers for lunches later in the week. The recipe makes 6 servings and I was afraid they would be tiny, but they were actually really good sized and more than enough for a lunch.
I would totally make this recipe again, it was quick and easy to throw together, especially with the tube of ready-to-eat organic polenta from Trader Joe's. I was afraid it would be a little bland since it didn't use a packet of taco seasoning, but it was great after adding a little chili powder.