|Layered icebox cake dessert|
One reason I like this dish is because I like things you can make ahead of time since it gives you time to focus on other things. And this dish you HAVE to make ahead of time, it needs time to work it's magic.
Plus the icebox cake concept can be used as a base for a lot of different flavor variations. When you think about it, this is pretty much just the Midwestern version of Italian tiramisu.
Cooking Light Chocolate-Eclair Icebox Dessert
I modified the recipe to make a half-size batch since we didn't need a full 9x13 pan of dessert for our family of three. An 8x8 pan is approximately half the size of a 9x13 pan, but I experimented and found that my 9x7 pan was a better fit for the graham crackers. I prefer more "cake" layers than pudding, so I always add an extra layer of graham crackers.
- 12-14 sheets (about 1/2 of a 14-ounce box) honey graham crackers
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package lemon instant pudding mix
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese (I used three wedges of Laughing Cow strawberries & cream spread)
- 1/2 (8-ounce) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
- handful of strawberries, cut into flat slices
DirectionsPut a layer of graham crackers down in a 9x7 pan.
|first layer of graham crackers|
|Some ingredients of the pudding layer|
|Mixing up the pudding layer|
|Pudding mixture on the grahams|
|Add more grahams|
|Add a layer of sliced strawberries|
|More pudding mixture|
VerdictI liked the flavor combo of strawberries and lemon but felt the strawberries were a little out of place since they were too firm in the middle of this super-soft dessert. But I also don't like nuts in my brownies since it's a different texture, so this was probably the wrong choice for my preferences. In the future I would not use whole fruit but whiz it up into the pudding layer.
The taste was really good. The cream cheese never got smoothly incorporated, but that's fine since it was sweetened and wasn't huge chunks. I personally don't think you need the cream cheese, maybe next time I'll go without.
Other flavor variations I'd like to make in the future:
- Strawberry shortcake - Strawberries, graham crackers, and vanilla pudding. or cheesecake pudding for a strawberry cheesecake.
- Chocolate-banana - banana slices, graham crackers, and chocolate pudding. could also add some regular or powdered peanut butter
- Mocha - chocolate cookies, and chocolate pudding with decaf coffee crystals
- Oreo - Oreo cookies, chocolate pudding or Oreo pudding since they make that, but it might be hard to find.
- S'mores - add marshmallow fluff to the pudding mix, grahams, chocolate pudding. some chocolate sauce or shaved chocolate would be welcome here.
- Chocolate-covered strawberries - strawberries, chocolate pudding
- Peaches & cream - peaches, vanilla pudding with peach schnapps