Sunday, March 10, 2013

Followup: Cooking Light Cravebox

A while ago I signed up for the Cooking Light curated Cravebox, which is a box of healthy food goodies.  I received the Start Your Year Off Light box a few days after ordering.  Here's what I thought of it.

What Was Inside?

  • a box of Barilla white fiber penne pasta
  • a box of Barilla veggie farfalle (bowtie) pasta
  • a 100-calorie bag of Snackwell's fudgy pretzels
  • BelVita breakfast cinnamon brown sugar biscuits
  • a can of A&W Ten Root Beer 
  • 2 Sunrype strawberry fruit bars (like fruit leather)
  • a pack of Trident island berry lime gum
  • coupons to buy more of the items in the box
  • a few bits of Cooking Light magazine information
First of all, I received two boxes with exactly the same contents, so I got double of all the things above.  I'm not sure why I got two boxes of exactly the same stuff unless it was because I was a little late for the 'Start Your Year Off Light' box since I ordered in February?

What Did I Think Of Each Item?

  • box of Barilla white fiber penne pasta - sounds interesting, but I also liked the Bionature whole wheat spaghetti.  This is cheaper though.  We'll see if we like it. 
  • box of Barilla veggie farfalle (bowtie) pasta - this has only 1 serving of veggies for 3.5 ounces of pasta, which is almost two servings, so it's not that great.  The Aldi veggie pasta I bought has a serving of veggies in 2 ounces, so I would buy that instead.
  • 100-calorie bag of Snackwell's fudgy pretzels - these are waiting for me in the snack bin in the cupboard.  Husband Jeff liked his pack a lot, eating them immediately on the morning I put them aside for him.
  • BelVita breakfast cinnamon brown sugar biscuits - Husband Jeff ate his quickly and emailed me to tell me they were delicious.  I haven't had mine since they're 230 calories for the little pack.   But it is nice that they don't have high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, no artificial flavors or sweeteners.
  • A&W Ten Root Beer - I immediately ditched the two cans of soda at the office since I don't drink soda at all, let alone diet.   I'm confused by it, why a 10-calorie diet soda?  Why use a sweetener with calories when most people would want a no-calorie version?  I don't like artificial sweeteners at all,  they always taste funny to me. Disappointing that Cooking Light would include this in their box, I thought they didn't go in for artificial sweeteners.
  • 2 Sunrype strawberry fruit bars (like fruit leather) - gave one to Sonny D and he seemed to like it well enough but he didn't care to finish it.  I had a bite and thought it was awesome, tasted like strawberry jam to me.
  • pack of Trident island berry lime gum - nice fruity taste.  Much better than my current Extra 'root beer float' gum, that's a really disappointing flavor. I like how Trident stays soft for a long time.
  • coupons to buy more of the items in the box - The coupons went to the office along with the soda because I'm not going to buy any of these items.
  • a few bits of Cooking Light magazine information - straight to the recycling bin since I already get Cooking Light magazine and it was promotional info about the box and a copy of an article from a recent issue. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!