|Mexican chicken stew|
InspirationThe inspriation for this dish came out of my head. In my opinion, Mexican food is so easy, it seems like any of the ingredients go together.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces (I think I now prefer thighs to chicken breasts)
- 1 can Herdez salsa casera (I have no idea how salsa casera is different than regular salsa, all I know is I love having cans of this in the pantry for recipes)
- 1 can tomatoes with green chiles
- some roasted sweet corn
- some pepper stir fry (peppers + onions)
- about 1/2 cup leftover mole sauce I had in the freezer
- Mrs. Dash fiesta lime
- ground cumin seed
- 1 can sliced black olives (added at the end)
|Steamy slow cooker|
I had some brown rice in the freezer, so we ate the stew on top of the rice. The shredded cheese was in the basement chest freezer and I was too lazy to go get it, so I used some nutritional yeast as a cheesy-flavored substitute. Nutritional yeast is good for you, it has B-vitamins and protein. I love it on popcorn.
The mole sauce was just the right touch, it added a dark depth of flavor that I appreciated. Of course it would have been perfectly fine without it too, but it was nice to use it up in something rather than throwing it away.
Husband Jeff and I liked it a lot, but we love Mexican food. Sonny D doesn't really care for Mexican food, so might have eaten a bite of chicken, but he preferred his rice.