Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Citrus Twist: Orange Marmalade Oatmeal

At one of our favorite local diner spots I grabbed a container of orange marmalade with the intention of adding it to a bowl of oatmeal. I really like orange marmalade but I'm afraid to buy a jar of it because then I'll be tempted to eat a lot of toast with marmalade.  Toast is already tempting enough (crispy, buttery deliciousness!).

The base for my breakfast was one of the multi-servings I made from a big batch of oatmeal, so I'm skipping that part of the recipe here and concentrating on the flavors. 

Ingredients

  • bowl of oatmeal (mine is 1/4 cup oats)
  • mini-container of orange marmalade
  • 1 T flax seed meal
  • heavy dash of cinnamon
  • 1T non-dairy creamer
  • 2T almond milk

Directions


In the morning I heated up my bowl of oatmeal in the microwave for 1 minute.  I added the marmalade to the bowl and stirred, and heated it for another minute.  Then I added cinnamon, and a tablespoon of flax seed meal and stirred it all around.  Added the non-dairy creamer and almond milk to slosh around on top.

Verdict

This was nice, but it was really light on marmalade flavor.  I could tell there was a hint of orange, but it needed more oomph to really make it a part of the dish.  Next time I would want to use two of those little containers... or maybe I could actually buy a jar of marmalade if I decide I want to make this a regular breakfast item.  This has inspired me to attempt to incorporate some clementines or oranges into my breakfast by using my rasp to get some of the zest and peel it and put the sections in as well. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!