Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spin on Tortillas: French Toast Wraps

I've had this idea bookmarked for a while, using tortillas to make french toast, but I had to find the right time to make it.  It would take too long on a weekday morning, so I experimented on a Sunday when we had nothing else going on.  Plus I had to ensure we had something for a good filling.


Inspiration

Prevention RD Fruit-Filled French Toast Wraps


I switched up the filling from fruit, yogurt, and granola to peanut butter yogurt with banana.

I don't like mushy French bread, which is what happens a lot of the time if you use regular loaf bread rather than a heartier, dried out bread.  Since this is a thick tortilla, I figured it can't get too mushy.

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 milk
  • 1/2 tap vanilla
  • sprinkle of cinnamon
  • 3 whole-wheat tortillas
  • 5 pieces bread

  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 2T PB2 (powdered peanut butter
  • 1 banana

Instructions


I mixed up the eggs, milk,vanilla, and cinnamon with the whisk attachment of my immersion blender.  Sometimes I feel like there are too many identifiable egg bits when I make French toast, so I wanted to make sure it was a more homogenous mixture this time. 

I poured the egg mixture into a shallow bowl (I call them pasta bowls) but found that it wasn't wide enough to really soak the entire tortilla at once.  I'm not sure what would really work better, I guess a giant platter with nicely sloped sides? 

I cooked the tortillas on my electric skillet at 275 degrees.

While those cooked, I mixed together the filling of powdered peanut butter and yogurt.  

They cooked quickly since tortillas are thinner than regular bread and they didn't soak up much of the egg mixture.  Flipped them over to brown the other side after maybe 1-2 minutes.

Put the cooked tortilla on a plate, slather on some pb-yogurt mixture and add some slices of banana.  Roll it up and add syrup.

Repeat all the steps with tortillas and bread.


Verdict


I didn't give this to Sonny D since he would have had a hard time eating it, but I did make him a regular slice of French toast and topped it with the yogurt mixture and banana slices.  He didn't eat much, but he did have a lot of yogurt that morning.

Husband Jeff and I liked it though.  This was so neat, I'm glad I tried it out.  It's like a cheater version of a crepe, and so much easier. 

Next time I'm definitely going to use a large platter for the egg mixture so the tortillas can really soak since they're not going to get mushy like regular sliced bread.  I didn't really care for the yogurt filling, but Greek yogurt is really tangy.  I used plain yogurt, it might have helped if I used a flavored yogurt, like vanilla.  A spoonful of honey might have enhanced it as well.  The banana was pretty good though.

Another easy variation would be vanilla yogurt with strawberries.  That might be better with some sort of whipped cream topping rather than pancake syrup. 

I wouldn't mind a filling of applesauce and diced apples.  I would probably go with regular pancake syrup for topping. 


Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!