Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Little Dessert: A Sixer of Cupcakes

All that stands between you and a small batch of cupcakes is a few minutes and some simple ingredients. It's quick and easy.  Throw some together when you've got some dinner guests coming over, or a small reason to celebrate, like "hey, it's Friday!" 

I finally got around to making these cupcakes for Sonny D after seeing an image of a birthday cupcake.  I even served him the first one with a candle in it.  :) 

As a warning, I really don't recommend whole wheat flour for these cupcakes, mine ended up too dry. Definitely still edible and quite good, but just not as moist and light as they could have been. We still gobbled them down, even without frosting.

Inspiration 

The Girl Tastes vanilla cupcakes (small batch)

I wanted to try out my new peanut butter extract, so I added a teaspoon to this mixture.  Otherwise I didn't change much else since working with such small amounts of ingredients could have a large effect in the end product.  Oh, I was planning on substituting non-dairy creamer for the cream in the original recipe, that's why you'll see it in the picture, but as I was making them I changed it to all milk. 

Ingredients

Ingredients

  • 2/3 c flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  •  1/8 tsp salt
  • 5 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup sugar 
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  • 1 egg 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp peanut butter extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Put 6 cupcake liners in your muffin pan or 7 liners if you were like me and had enough batter to make another.  

Mix the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt.

With a blender, beat the butter thoroughly.  The recipe I followed said you can't over mix it, so I went mixed it for quite a while.  
Fluffy butter.

Then add sugar and blend thoroughly.  The texture of the sugar helps beat the butter even more. 

Add milk and blend until light and fluffy.  

Add egg and vanilla and blend.  Add flour mixture and gently combine.

Batter
Pour into the cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Finished cupcake

Light texture.

Verdict

They were missing that peanut butter flavor I was hoping for, I don't know if they needed more peanut better extract or if it was the heavy wheat flour that covered it.  But as a general cupcake, they were quite good.  And it was nice to have a small batch so we didn't have 12+ cupcakes staring at us.  I don't know if it was all the beating or what, but I ended up having to add another cupcake liner so we actually had 7 cupcakes, which was a nice bonus.  We definitely ended up eating them for the next couple meals. 

I do have to say that they're not the sweetest cupcakes, so if you prefer a more sugary treat, you'll want to whip up a glaze or frosting to go on top.  I prefer not-too-sweet desserts, so I thought they were great without anything else needed.  Sonny D liked them and so did Husband Jeff. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!