Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Dishes I Want To Make Right Now

Here is a list of recipes I saw today that I would like to make right now.
  • Farro porridge for breakfast. Farro is a grain, looks similar to barley.  I bought a bag of it at Trader Joe's a couple trips ago and it's been sitting in my cupboard ever since.  It originally intimidated me, but lately I've just forgotten about it. Seeing this recipe today re-inspired me.   
  • Twice-baked black bean-stuffed sweet potatoes. You could make this as a side dish or as a main course.  And it would be a great way to use up leftover taco fixings, a little seasoned meat, some salsa, a bit of black olives, etc.  Plus I've heard that sweet potatoes don't spike your blood sugar the way standard potatoes do, so that's my rationale for always picking them over standard white potatoes. 
  • Mexican-style waffle omelets.  This is a totally neat idea, making omelets/scrambled eggs in a waffle iron.  I've used my waffle iron to make french toast and it turned out great, so this would be another good way to use it for more than just straight waffles.
  •   Chewy oatmeal cookies.  I'm always drawn to things made with oats, and these cookies look to be on the plain side, which is totally what I go for in a cookie. 

I've also wanted to make to make Leanne's pumpkin spice latte quinoa breakfast casserole for a long time.  When I realize I'm out of my pre-made steel-cut oats and need to make another batch, it's usually bedtime and I'm on auto-pilot and too lazy to pull up the recipe.  Plus my leftover pumpkin puree is in the freezer and would need to be defrosted first. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!