Thursday, January 2, 2014

Decadent Greek Yogurt Soufflés

I started out planning to make this in a lemon-lime flavor, but the jar of fruit dip seasoning I had was much older than I thought and the contents were as hard as a rock.  I hate it when I buy things and then essentially forget I've got them, or attempt to save them for "something special" and then that "something special" never happens. 

Lightly foamy egg whites with beautiful flecks of vanilla bean.

Inspiration

Jules Food Greek Yogurt Souffle


My only real change was to add some almond extract, which makes it similar to a cheesecake Husband Jeff likes to make with a sour cream-almond topping.

 Ingredients

  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 3 lg egg yolks
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/8 two salt 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 3 lg egg whites 
  • 1/8 tsp cream or tartar
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Directions

Heat your oven to 375 degrees.

Butter 6 ramekins/custard cups/Pyrex cups and coat the insides with sugar. (I had to butter and coat a 7th ramekin because I had so much filling.)   Put them on a rimmed baking sheet so you can put them in the oven.  If you don't have a rimmed baking sheet, just use a standard cookie sheet, but be very careful when you're putting them in and taking them out of the oven so they don't slide off.
Closeup of a sugared ramekin.
In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, egg yolks, flour, salt, and vanilla.
In a large bowl, mix the egg whites and cream of tartar, beat until foamy.

that's actually a hard peak, it stands up on it's own. 
I beat it a little too long, but it was fine.
Then gradually pour in sugar and whisk until firm-but-soft-peaks form.


Fold in the yogurt mixture and divide the batter evenly into the prepared ramekins.

Bake on the tray for 15 minutes until risen and lightly brown. 

Verdict

Light-but-decadent out of the oven.  Cheesecake-like after chilling. 
I might have baked mine too long because they were dried out a bit, but they seemed too wet when I checked them at the 15-minute mark and weren't even slightly brown.  I only added a few minutes, but it had a big effect. 

It probably also didn't help that I used whole wheat flour, which soaks up more liquid than standard white flour, so the end result was a little drier.  I'm adding white wheat flour to my grocery list for dishes like this where you need the delicacy of white flour.  I've made too many things lately that were too heavy from the whole wheat flour.

Sonny D wouldn't try it, but that was his loss.  Husband Jeff was glad I used the almond flavor so they reminded him of his cheesecake.  I liked that they weren't real yogurt-y since I don't like the tang of yogurt. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!