Thursday, August 8, 2013

Currently: August

I totally stole this whole format from Oatmeal After Spinning because I loved it so much.

Current book: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. 
Sometimes I giggle when reading this book because it feels like "miraculous product" talk with some foods as panaceas for random old-timey illnesses.  "Eat food X and it will cure your gout, dyspepsia, palsy, and prevent hysterics!"

But I am finding it inspiring to eat real foods, like butter instead of margarine and try sprouted breads. 

I'm also trying to catch up on all the random mail I've gotten in the last week or two.  

Current music: none.  I don't get much time to listen to anything fun.  In the mornings we listen to NPR during breakfast, so there's no music there unless they're doing a news piece that involves a something musical.  But I'm looking forward to the newly released graphic novel paired with the music from my favorite band, The Architects. 

Current guilty pleasure: Getting up early and going down to our basement to do a 30-minute workout on the elliptical machine and watching episodes of the '90s TV show Angel (spin-off of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) via Netflix On Demand on my new iPad.  This is about the only place/time I can have the privacy to watch what I want since we don't turn the TV on when our son is around.  I think we've turned the TV on only about 3-4 times since we brought him home a year ago, usually only to watch Green Bay Packers football games. 

My hot pink and neon orange pedi.
Current nail color: this awesome two-tone hot pink and neon orange pedicure I got with my friend Jessica.  I love getting these vibrant, clashing pedicures because they make me smile when I go to my workouts where you don't wear shoes (Zumba, Core Fusion).  

Current drink: as always, hot herbal tea, even in the summertime.  Somewhat recently I got some paper filter teabags on Amazon.com and they're great for taking loose tea to work since I don't want to fuss with a tea ball/infuser at the office.  Plus they're great for containing the super-fine bits in rooibos teas. 

Current food: It's a tie between the humongous spring roll I had at the northside farmers' market last week and the last of the wonderful Door County cherries that I also bought at the farmers' market.  At least the spring roll I can get each week until the end of the market, and I definitely plan to!  

Current favorite show: I love catching the Cook's Illustrated shows on PBS -- America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country.  Once again, this is when I'm on the elliptical in the basement by myself.  If I'm exercising on a weekday morning, I'm working out before our PBS stations come on the air (6 a.m.) so it usually only happens on the weekend afternoons. 

Current wish list: I would like a bunch of fun, stylish, colorful clothes for fall. Usually back-to-school time freaks me out but this year I noticed it and it made me a little happy.  I love the idea of getting some new clothes. To fulfill this wish, I'm bidding on fun colored dress pants on eBay.  I've already scored a pink pair and now I'm working on getting some bright blue ones.  I also wouldn't mind if somebody could recommend entire outfits to buy since I'm not the greatest at figuring it out myself. 

Current needs: I need to practice more restraint and not over-eat at pretty much every meal.  But I love food so much!

Current triumphs: Not forgetting to do my daily virtual climb up the mountain challenge.  I've been kicking butt on this! I even did two different sets yesterday, one in the morning and another in the evening after my Zumba class. 

Current bane of my existence: My husband would say my breakfast routine that is too intricate and takes too long, but I think it's totally fine because that's what I want to do for breakfast every day.  I seriously swear I've got some sort of weird food addiction to oats.

Current indulgence: going out for so many meals so often.  I love weekly lunches with my coworkers and we've got lots of great restaurants here in Madison.

Current slang: Does it count that I call my toddler son "dude"?  It's so weird, but it's the first thing that comes out of my mouth rather than his name.

Current outfit: I'm dressed for work, so a black blazer, royal blue tee, black pinstripe pants, and black suede pumps.  Yes, suede shoes in summer, I think they're the only black shoes I've got anymore and these are my only black pants, and I don't wear either of them often.

Current excitement: I would like to plan a trip somewhere with our son. It would be great to visit our friends out in Seattle, but I don't know if we're ready for a long flight (or any flight).  I'm also super-excited to pick up the equipment and supplies needed to make jelly/jam.  I went to a jelly-making class that focused on wine jellies and I think it would be so cool to make a couple batches to share with friends. 

Current mood: So excited to go out for dinner at the new Grampa's Pizzeria.

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!