Friday, January 11, 2013

Grapefruit Oatmeal

This morning I tried grapefruit in my oatmeal, based on this grapefruit oatmeal recipe.  A few days ago I made a big batch of oatmeal so I figured today would be a good day to try this experiment because if it wasn't very good tasting, I had more oatmeal waiting in the fridge that I could heat up.

I used half of a pink grapefruit and cut the sections as if I was going to eat it with a spoon.  I scooped it into my oatmeal bowl and aimed to get only the fruit out and not a lot of juice since I prefer my oatmeal on the thicker side.  I stirred it in and the fruit broke up into the little juicy pockets that make up citrus fruit.  I warmed it for 2 minutes, and added cinnamon and my standard "milk" float (non-dairy creamer + almond milk) on top.

I would have taken a photo, but it pretty much looked like my regular oatmeal except there were some barely-discernible pink-ish bits in it.  The taste was fine, but I really couldn't taste the grapefruit, which is weird because it's usually quite tart and strong.  It might be that since I squeezed the rest of the juice into a bowl and added a drizzle of honey and ate that first that my mouth was already used to the tartness.  So not like I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't really see a reason to do it.  I'll probably use the other half of the grapefruit in another bowl of oatmeal, though.  It's nice to know you're getting some good vitamin C in your bowl.

So this was another successful bowl of oatmeal.  I think my only oatmeal experiment that I didn't like and threw away was the egg version.  You crack an egg into your oatmeal and cook it in, and it turns thick and custard-y, it was way too eggy for me. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!