Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Stuffed Mushrooms for Later

De-stemmed mushrooms, waiting for filling and freezing.
Creamy spinach filling for stuffed mushrooms.
On New Year's Eve we had friends over and I made stuffed mushrooms.  They were so tasty that I had to have more. Stuffed mushrooms are excellent savory snacks or add-ons for a meal when you need a little more food to round it out.  Plus if the filling isn't too rich, they can be pretty low in calories.

I bought two 8 oz. packages of whole mushrooms, gently pulled the stems out, and mixed up the cheesy spinach filling. I froze all of them so I can have them later.  To try to make them lighter, I skipped the goat cheese and replaced it with light cream cheese and two wedges of Laughing Cow garden veggie cheese.   I added fat-free feta, skipped the red peppers, and added a little dried lemon peel and sprinkle of cayenne, a little more salt & pepper.

I put them on a baking tray and put them in the freezer until they were solid, then moved them to a gallon freezer bag.  

I tasted the filling and it was delicious, I can't wait to bake them up. They're supposed to bake for 20 minutes, but I think I'll use the toaster oven to bake them since it's usually quicker.  And the nice thing is that Husband Jeff doesn't like mushrooms, so they're all mine.  Sonny D might want a taste, but luckily he's a slow eater, so I can hopefully finish them off before he wants more.




Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!