Monday, April 28, 2014

Menu Plan: Week of April 28

Wow, it's already the end of April this week! Like everyone else in the upper Midwest, I'm really ready for spring to be here. The temperatures are a bit warmer, but lately it's been kind overcast and not that nice. But I need to remember that spring in Wisconsin is never that great.

Last Week in Review

Husband Jeff's birthday dinner on Wednesday turned out perfect.  I surprised him with jangjorim, a Korean dish of beef braised in soy sauce with hard-boiled eggs.  And I had been worried about not having enough food, so I added another dish, and then we ended up with tons of leftovers.  Much better than not having enough for guests to eat.  

On Friday we had a lovely dinner out at Dobhan Kitchen and used up my last discounted restaurant gift certificate.  Now I can lift my self-imposed ban and buy more!

Sonny D and I went shopping at Trader Joe's on Saturday and he was so excited to push around a kid cart!  I told him he had to listen to me and behave with his cart otherwise he would have to ride in my cart.  He did great!  As we went through we found that if we needed to stop that he needed to park his cart directly behind mine so we weren't in anyone's way, and he was so good at remembering that!  And he was incredibly patient while the gal went in the back and got us three fresh boxes of his favorite cereal.  And I totally fell in love with the Trader Joe's sweet Italian style chicken sausage that Sonny D and I picked up there on Saturday.   They have an awesome fennel taste, really delicious.  I would love to put some on a homemade pizza.

We had our friends Chuck & Buddha over for a burrito bowl brunch on Sunday.  The food was all excellent, Mexican food is always so easy and tasty.  And perfect bloody marys.  And the guys were total champs, they quietly swapped out some furniture for us while Husband Jeff took Sonny D in for his afternoon nap.

Our friends Daisy & Jocelyn surprised us on Sunday by stopping over with some awesome chocolate pumpkin hot chocolate cake they made for their younger son's second birthday.  In return I packaged up some truffle brownies (made with black beans, seriously so good!) and savory quick bread for them.  They're such cool ladies, we love hanging out with them!

You are probably getting bored with me documenting my sourdough starter un-adventures.  If I have progress from now on I'll share it, but not the daily feeding updates since not much is happening. It's so disappointing.


This Week

It's a pretty quiet week, we've got the usual exercise classes and Sonny D's swimming lessons.
  • Monday - We've got leftover Mexican ingredients from Sunday's brunch, so we'll have taco salads
  • Tuesday - I'm finally going to make porcupine meatballs in the slow cooker with a bag of frozen veggies. I've been dragging my feet on the meatballs, I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer a few days ago so I knew that wasn't going to happen.  I've got cardio dance fitness in the evening.
  • Wednesday - I'm going super-easy with Applegate hot dogs, sweet potato fries, and another bag of frozen veggies
  • Thursday - Tonight we're providing part of the teacher's (monthly?) meeting meal for Sonny D's school.  Since I love making food I figured I would sign up, but I had a lot of trouble coming up with an idea for what to make.  It has to be gluten-free and no shellfish, which isn't difficult since Asian or Mexican food pretty easily fits the bill, but I couldn't settle on anything.  It wasn't until we were at Trader Joe's that I finally decided to buy two extra boxes of their roasted red pepper and tomato soup for the teachers.  It's Sonny D's favorite, so hopefully they love it too.  And the weather is going to be cold and rainy on Thursday (like it is all week) so hopefully this will warm them up.  Maybe we should have soup with cheese quesadillas or pesto grilled cheese sandwiches.  I've got another cardio dance fitness class, this one is right after work so Husband Jeff will make dinner for him and Sonny D before heading off to swim lessons.
  • Friday - home-frozen Asian meatballs, a bag of frozen brown and wild rice served with Trader Joe's soycutash. And this is Me & D night, I don't have any ideas for what to do, maybe we'll have a playdate with friends.
  • Saturday - I don't have any exercise classes in the morning so I really want to go to the downtown farmers' market.  I rarely get to go since I usually have Core Fusion or cardio dance fitness, but both are cancelled this week.  Later we're celebrating my friend Jessica's birthday with a Mexican feast of fajitas, black beans, guacamole, shrimp and avocado salad, some sort of dip, grilled pineapple, etc. Can't wait!
  • Sunday - This is the first of the northside outdoors farmers' markets of the season, so I'd like to support the smaller northside market rather than the huge downtown market.  Maybe Sonny D and I will just do a lot of browsing on Saturday and save all our money for Sunday.  I really hope the egg roll stand and the smoothie cart lady with spring rolls will be there, Sonny D and I look forward to that every week during the summer.  It's very sad, we have another funeral to attend, this one is for Husband Jeff's uncle Terry.  For dinner I really want to make roasted tofu with noodles in peanut sauce. I've wanted to make it for a couple weeks now.

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!