InspirationCookies and Cups lightened up pumpkin cream cheese swirl bars
IngredientsCream cheese swirl
- 1 (8 oz) block 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp
water(I used French vanilla creamer because our milk was frozen (arg!) and I wanted to add more flavor)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (adding more flavor, no reason to leave it as plain cream cheese!)
- 16 oz package angel food cake mix
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ( my cinnamon is strong so I only used 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp butter extract (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
DirectionsPreheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
With a mixer, combine the swirl ingredients -- cream cheese, sugar, non-dairy creamer, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy.
|Fluffy cream cheese mixture.|
In a separate bowl, combine the dry angel food cake mix, pumpkin puree, water, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, butter extract, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
|Swirled first layer.|
|Swirled messy second layer|
|Closeup of the edges pulled away.|
VerdictI loved this pumpkin bar. My previous angel food bars turned out to be a bummer, they ended up really flat and not very good, so I was happy these actually worked out. These were cake-like and a little dense with a wonderful swirl of cream cheese. So even though pumpkin is more of a fall flavor, if you're looking for a good dessert, make this! And they are definitely bar format, denser than a cake.
It would be neat to add some cocoa powder to the cake mixture to see if you could make a chocolate version.