There was definitely no doubling action going on since it hadn't risen above the mark on the side but the top showed a bit of bubbling. There wasn't any smell other than flour and water.
|Day 5 initial view, a little activity.|
I decided to be more precise in my measurements rather than my previous casual "dump out some of the goop, ah, that looks about like half" approach. I was measuring the amounts of flour and water that went into it, but not how much I was getting rid of. I got out a similar container, measured it in grams (easier to deal with since my scale combines pounds and ounces) and did the math and conversions to determine the weight of my stuff inside, how much to dump out, and how much flour and water to add.
|Day 5 with a precise 1:1:1 ratio - much thicker. |
In the background you can see my notepad and pencil
for figuring out the measurements.
And I realized that the top of our refrigerator isn't really a warm location. The yeast need a warm environment to encourage them to grow. Cool temperatures means they are less active, possibly too slow to really take hold at this point. I think I'm going to clear out space for it in an upper cabinet that gets warm from the attached under-cabinet lighting.
It seems like most people who have sourdough starters give it a name. I don't know if that's because it's a living entity that you take care of and maintain, like a pet. Maybe it's easier to relate to if it has a name. Or maybe it feels like one of the family since you spend a lot of time with it. If mine makes it through to become a full-fledged starter that I can use to make bread, I'll give it a name and introduce it to everyone.