Wednesday, April 8, 2015

No Menu Plan: Whole30 Instead

I barely had a menu plan for this week, so I'm going to skip posting that for this week. It ends up I only had half the week planned and then we needed to go grocery shopping to buy ingredients to eat anything else for the rest of the week.

Last Week

A funny little thing I wanted to mention. Our dog Zipper sleeps on our bed with us and sometimes he'll snore so loud that it makes me laugh, and I'm supposed be trying to fall sleep. But it's just so cute this teensy little dog with this big ol' snore going on. 

Here are some pictures of food from last week.  
Cooked down frozen strawberries to make sauce for waffles.
Aldi multi-grain gluten-free bread, quite good!
This peanut butter-chocolate fruit dip was based on the recipe from Oh She Glows. I scaled it down to approximately half but with a lot less almond milk since it seemed like it would be too runny with the full amount.  Sonny D liked it, but I absolutely loved it.  When it was gone, I swiped my finger around the bowl to clean it out. 
Peanut butter-chocolate dip.
 

Whole30

Husband Jeff and I are interested in a detox/cleanse called Whole30, it doesn't allow gluten, grains, legumes/soy, sugar, or alcohol. I'm happily planning and researching what we'll eat for the 30 days. We're starting to remove those things from our diet already so it won't be such a shock when we are actually doing it. We've found that black coffee is yucky!  :) We've got some events coming up that would make it really hard to start the cleanse so we're gonna wait towards the end of the month after Husband Jeff's birthday.  I'm glad we're doing this together, it's nice to have a partner on something so challenging like this. 

Whole30 appeals to me because I have been overeating at meals. And clearing my son's plate after he was done eating. And feasting on Easter candy. I want to feel good about my body. I am proud of my strength from weightlifting but I want to feel good about the rest of my body, get rid of the bit of flab.  I think it will feel good to reset our eating habits. 

I'm very excited to plan and make all sorts of new foods. I want to make homemade mayonnaise, which just sounds totally awesome and you can use it on everything because fats are good for the Whole30. I love browsing Pinterest to find new recipes and a new concepts, here's my Whole30 Pinterest board.  It's neat to find there are regular dishes we will be able to eat, like beef stew. I've already started grocery shopping in preparation for our cleanse and reading labels at Trader Joe's and Aldi.

For Sonny D we're going to probably serve him the regular food that we're already eating for dinner and then just adding in rice or pasta for him, but I'd like for him to eat some of the foods that were making anyway.  He doesn't really like much veggies so would be good for him to try some new things. For breakfast he normally eats cereal, oatmeal, or an egg sandwich. I make his lunch for preschool so he'll eat his regular things like peanut butter sandwiches, crab snacks, seaweed,  hard-boiled eggs, homemade trail mix, and other random things that he likes.


In my Whole30 research I saw a recipe called Monkey Salad that I had to try because it sounded good and I had all the ingredients. It's more of a concept than a recipe, banana slices with whatever type of nuts/seeds, unsweetened coconut, etc.  Would be good with some dried fruit or nut butter too.
Monkey salad - banana, pecans, unsweetened coconut flakes, pinch of salt

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!