Sunday, February 24, 2013

Italian Wedding Soup

There aren't a lot of pictures for this post because my iPhone (my blogging camera) was dead.  And it's a quick recipe to pull together, so I didn't have a whole lot of opportunities to take photos anyway.

Inspiration

Bev Cooks Weeknight Italian Wedding Soup and Snack Girl Meatball and Orzo Soup

Ingredients

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • some onion (I pulled out my onion from my hanging veggie holder and it was icky!  Didn't have any other onion so I resorted to picking out the bits of onion from my peppers & onion stirfry mix.  Now it's just peppers left in the bag.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (from a jar!)
  • 46 oz chicken stock
  • couple handfuls carrot shreds (from a bag!)
  • 2 regular carrots, cut into rounds (had a couple leftovers hanging out in the crisper drawer)
  • 14 oz can cannellini beans, drained
  • some frozen meatballs (I had a few beef ones left and a new package of turkey)
  • couple handfuls of spinach, chopped
  •  4 oz pasta
Soup on the left, pasta on the right
 Heat up the oil and saute the onion for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.  Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.  Add the carrots, chicken stock, and cannellini beans and bring to a simmer.

Meanwhile, heat up the meatballs in a bowl in the microwave because if they're frozen, they're going to take forever to heat up in the soup.  Might as well give them a head start. 

Let it all cook together a bit to let the flavors meld.  I would say about 25 minutes at a low simmer.   I was surprised, when the meatballs cooked in the soup, they got bigger.  Totally unexpected.

We shaved fresh parmesan cheese on top of our bowls of soup.

Verdict


This was a comforting, cozy soup.  Sonny D ate the meatballs and pasta.  Husband Jeff and I liked it a lot, but we also love the Progresso version from a can.  Since I used turkey meatballs, mine was less greasy than the canned version, but that's a good thing.

This made a lot, we had dinner the first night, 2 servings for lunch, and 2 more servings for dinner the second night.  I love soup that makes a large batch.

One mistake I made was to cook the pasta separately.  I did that because otherwise it can suck up all the moisture of your soup and release some starch, making it too thick.  Next time I would either flavor the pasta water by adding some herbs or maybe chicken bouillon which would ensure the pasta wasn't too bland, or cook the noodles directly in the soup. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!