Saturday, February 16, 2013

Revolutionary Idea: Oven-Fried Bacon


Bacon destined for the oven.
Inspiration: Oven-Fried Bacon

I buy a package of bacon and bake it in my oven and I recommend you do the same.  It's revolutionary!  It's quick (17-20 minutes), doesn't fill your house with the aroma of cooking bacon (nice while you're cooking it, but kinda gross later), and it's great to have on hand to throw a little bit into a recipe.
 
Use a rimmed baking sheet to ensure you don't start a grease fire with bacon grease dripping into your oven.  As you can see from the photo, I line mine with heavy-duty foil, which is an awesome invention.  I was able to peel it up and toss away all the grease without spilling any.

And cooked bacon fits onto a gallon freezer bag really well.  I separate the layers with waxed paper.

I cook my bacon to be a little less-done so later when I want to warm it up, I can still cook it a bit in the microwave.  I cover a plate with paper towel, toss on some bacon, and put more paper towel on top.  Cook it for only a bit to warm it up and finish cooking.  Remember that bacon will continue to crisp up as it sits a bit.  I chop it up and toss into random recipes.  I like it for creamy dishes like alfredo, or to add a little something extra to homemade pizza. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!