Thursday, February 28, 2013

Customized for You: Cheeseburger Quesadillas

Inspiration

Iowa Girl Eats cheeseburger quesadillas

Ingredients lineup
This is a simple concept, put your burger favorites into a tortilla and grill it up.

Ingredients

  • shredded cheese
  • pickle slices
  • whole wheat tortillas
  • chopped bacon (pre-cooked from the freezer)
  • green olives, chopped
  • ground beef (pre-cooked from the freezer)
  • spinach (subbing in for lettuce)
  • mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc.
I wish we had tomatoes, those would have been perfect.  I like my burger loaded up with with everything on it.  Of course use what you like on your burger, pickled jalapenos, fried egg, barbeque sauce, sauteed mushrooms, fried onions, avocado, pesto, etc.

Hot grillin' action
I used my electric skillet because it's big enough to hold two tortillas at the same time.  I also use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches or melt sandwiches for the same reason, I can make four at once. 

Cheesy, tangy bites
Lay down a tortilla (feel free to use cooking spray, I didn't), add cheese and your other ingredients.  I also finished with another sprinkling of shredded cheese to ensure everything stuck together.  Watch the cheese to see when it melts, then fold it in half and check the underside to see if it needs to be flipped.  I also put the lid on to ensure the cheese was melted and the rest of the ingredients were warmed up.

This was my first time making folded quesadillas, and they're more manageable to flip than a two-tortilla quesadilla.  We used a pizza wheel to cut them into wedges. 

Verdict

Husband Jeff and I liked this, it was homey, simple, and quick to pull together.  Lately I've really liked dishes where each person gets their own customized version since our toddler Sonny D doesn't always like the same flavors we do.   

I always feel that quesadillas are a good way to have something to eat using ingredients you want to get rid of or when there's nothing else in the house.  For that reason, I personally would never order quesadillas out at a restaurant, in my mind they're cheaply made. 

I would love to make this again for something quick to go with soup, but I have other designs on the remaining tortillas.


Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!