Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Enhanced Box Mix Brownies

I needed a treat for work but I didn't have any time to make something from scratch but I also didn't want to resort to going to the grocery store to buy treats.  I knew I had a box of brownie mix in the cupboard, so that was the plan.  I figured plain brownies weren't going to win me any points with my coworkers, so I decided I would spiffy them up a bit. 

Ingredients

  • Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix  (13x9 family size, 18.3 oz)
  • water, oil, and eggs called for on the box
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla 
  • 1 tsp Folgers decaf instant coffee crystals (coffee enhances chocolate flavor)
  • 3/4 container Trader Joe's mini chocolate peanut butter cups, choppe

Directions

Preheat the oven as directed on the box.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  
chopped PB cups.  I might have tasted a couple.
Mix the water, oil, eggs, vanilla, and add the coffee crystals to ensure they fully dissolve.  Then add the brownie mix powder and mix thoroughly.  Then stir in the chopped mini peanut butter cups.  Pour into the prepared pan and bake as directed.
Had a taste to ensure they were
good enough to serve to my coworkers!

Verdict

The piece I tasted was quite good, but I don't know if they were really jazzed up enough to be a whole lot better than plain box brownies (which are quite fab!). 

They seemed to go pretty fast at the office, so I think that means they were good. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!