Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Roll It Up In Bread Dough: Pizza Pockets

This is a non-recipe for pizza pockets that I'm going to display in pictures.  I'll give you some vague amounts and you can make it be whatever you want.


Ingredients and Directions

I defrosted a loaf of frozen bread dough overnight in the refrigerator and cut it into four pieces. 

Then I emptied a jar of pizza sauce into a bowl and added our favorite pizza toppings -- chopped pepperoni, a pizza brat, peppers & onion mix, shredded cheese, chopped sauteed spinach, shredded zucchini, etc. I even added some chopped cauliflower mixture that I had leftover from the cauliflower crust mini pizzas.  I wanted to add chopped mushrooms, but Sonny D and Husband Jeff are not fans.

I rolled each piece of dough out and spooned on some filling, then folded the edge over and rolled and pinched it shut.  I placed them onto a sprayed cookie sheet and baked them until they were golden brown.  I think it was about 20-30 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees. 

Chopped turkey pepperoni with an artistic shot of the pizza sauce can.
Cooking up a pizza brat from the local meat market.
Chopped peppers & onions from a bag.
Shredded cheese.  I think it's a co-jack blend. 
Cutting up the brat into bits.
Spinach in the sauce.
A not-quite-circular "round" of dough with a quarter of the filling.
Pockets in the oven.
Half of a pocket with half an ear of corn.
Cross-section.

Verdict

The dough of the pizza pockets was a little softer than I expected, but the filling was so good! Husband Jeff and I shoveled ours down our gullets, but Sonny D didn't touch his.  He had every right to be suspicious, I was attempting to sneak in all sorts of veggies on him.  He had no idea what he was missing out on though.  Later I reheated a leftover end for Sonny D to have for lunch and he ate all of it, so it still ended up that he ate it and enjoyed it.

I wish I had cooked them a little longer, but I was impatient for dinner.  The dough was done, but I would have liked it a little browner.  

It would be fun to make these into a breakfast version with scrambled egg, sausage, veggies, etc.  You could also make these smaller with other ingredients like ham and cheese and broccoli to make your own "hot pockets".  

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!