Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Korean Ribs in the Slow Cooker

I threw this recipe together with the intention of cooking the ribs all day in the slow cooker and then finishing them off on the grill.  I couldn't find the recipe I've used previously, so we skipped the grill step and just ate them straight from the slow cooker. 

Inspiration

Savory Sweet Life authentic kalbi
I cut this recipe down to one third the original amount since I was marinating my ribs in a bag, which allows you to remove the air and the marinade touches more of the meat.  I also reduced the amount of sugar since I don't like sweet combined with meat, this was sweet enough for us.  I wasn't sure if the red pepper in the recipe was the standard-pizza-topper crushed red pepper or Korean gochujaru.  I went with the Korean version since this is a Korean recipe, plus it's not too spicy. 

I also skipped the green onion since I didn't have any, but otherwise I had everything else on hand to make this marinade. 

Ingredients lineup

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c soy sauce
  • 2T brown sugar
  • 2T sesame oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 onion, slices
  • 1T sesame seeds
  • 1/2 tsp gochujaru (Korean red pepper flakes) or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 4.45 lbs pork spare ribs


Directions

Put the marinade ingredients in a gallon freezer bag and the meat.  It's that easy! I let mine marinade overnight in the refrigerator.
My ribs with cauliflower mash

In the morning, I dumped everything from the bag into the slow cooker and cooked it on low all day.  I served it with cauliflower mash.

Verdict

The ribs were great, a little sweet and super flavorful.  I wish I could have found the recipe I've used previously where you finish the ribs on the grill, but this was great.  I loved the end pieces that stuck out of the cooking liquid, they were brown and dried out a little and perfectly chewy.  All three of us really liked this.  I can see the appeal of ribs, they were so tasty, but I don't like all the fat.  I would definitely use this marinade on pork in the future, maybe a pork tenderloin on the grill. 

The cauliflower mash was a neat match-up with the ribs since they weren't American-flavored ribs, but rather Korean.  I think maybe next time I would try the cauliflower mash with some parsnips and horseradish for a way to cut the sweet and richness of the meat. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!