Thursday, September 19, 2013

Eat Your Vegiges in a New Way: Cauliflower Mash

When I made Korean ribs for dinner I needed more to go with it. Lately the veggie of choice has been salads, but we were out of greens so I dug in the freezer to see what our other options were.  I went with a bag of butternut squash and a bag of cauliflower. I didn't like the microwaved butternut squash, it was just a gloppy mess. But the cauliflower I turned into cauliflower mash.

I've got other recipes bookmarked but I those were all for fresh cauliflower and all I had was a bag of frozen.   So that's how I ended up with this recipe.

Inspiration

 The Clothes Make the Girl mashed cauliflower

I switched out the coconut oil for butter and used regular milk. 

Directions

Cook the cauliflower in the microwave as directed on the package.  I added a splash of water and actually used the auto-cook feature on my microwave that is specific for frozen veggies.
Frozen cauliflower in the casserole dish.
 After cooking, I drained the bit of water off, added some garlic, herb blend, butter, fresh black pepper and a splash  of almond milk.
Cooked cauliflower with garlic, salt, pepper, herb blend, and butter.

Then I whipped it up with the blender attachment for my immersion blender.   Added a sprinkle of salt and tasted it, a dash more salt. Serve!


Sonny D helped me make this.  I thought it was going to be a huge mess splattered all over our kitchen using the immersion blender in the baking dish because usually I need to use a container with tall sides, but it was actually fine.  
Looks like mashed potatoes.

Ribs and cauliflower mash.

Verdict

Sonny D loved this so much he had two servings. I liked it a lot too.  Husband Jeff ate it, but didn't love it even though he normally likes cauliflower. 

You can't really try to pass it off as mashed potatoes, to me it still obviously tasted like cauliflower, but it's a nice way to eat it. And we ate a lot more than I expected, there was only about 1/3 cup leftover, which was still good reheated. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!