Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Garden Bounty: Eggplant Parmesan

Taking advantage of the eggplant in our garden, I decided to make eggplant parmesan. I've never really had eggplant parmesan before, so I didn't realize that it was a little different than I expected, it seems like it's officially supposed to be layered with cheese in the middle, but I skipped that step since I wanted to cut calories and I don't do that when I make tofu parmigiana.

I only used a small eggplant since that looked like the right amount we would eat for dinner. I didn't know if it would reheat well, but it probably would have been fine warmed up in the toaster oven.

Inspiration

Cooking Light eggplant parmesan 

I only followed the baking part of this recipe and served it with whole-grain spaghetti and jarred sauce.

Ingredients

  • 1-2 eggplants, sliced
  • 1/4 cup flour (seasoned however you like, I added salt & pepper)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/3 cup panko crumbs
  • 2 T parmesan cheese

Directions

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Working with each individual slice of eggplant. Dredge each slice of eggplant in the flour mixture, then egg, and then the breadcrumb and cheese mixture.
Baked eggplant

Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip over the pieces and bake for another 15 minutes.
Eggplant with spaghetti and red sauce.

Verdict

Soft inside, crunchy breading. 

I really liked this, why don't people eat eggplant dishes more often? I liked the creaminess and that it didn't have much of a flavor so it was mainly a vehicle for the tomato sauce.  The crispy panko and parmesan was really good, too.  I felt it needed more salt, so I lightly salted the pieces on my plate before I added some sauce on top.

Sonny D wouldn't even try his, but lately he hasn't wanted to try anything new.  Usually he throws the offending item off his plate (typically it lands on the table, but not always) but I'm working on getting him to leave things on his plate even if he doesn't want them.  That seems to be going ok for right now, and we're considering the next move to have him try a bite.

I wish I had prepped and baked the large eggplant I harvested from the garden since I wouldn't mind some of the leftovers for lunch.

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!