Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Ancient Grains" Class

On Monday night I went to an Ancient Grains class at HyVee grocery store taught by the store dietician and store chef.  They had tips and information about oats, barley, spelt, quinoa, millet, and amaranth.  It was an hour long and a good introduction for people who would like to explore these different foods.  We tried a southwest quinoa soup, a quick quinoa side dish (tomatoes and feta cheese), a cold farro salad, and an amaranth rice pudding.   The quinoa soup was interesting, I always think of using quinoa more like a solid item such as a side dish, but it worked really well in soup. 

Since quinoa is the most popular grain they talked about and most of the class had tried it, they should have us taste some of the more unknown grains like teff and sorghum. I think it was good overall, though.  I need to remember for the future that I don't need to really eat a meal before I go to classes like this, there was a lot of food to sample. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!