Sunday, January 27, 2013

Crustless Pumpkin Pie (Modified for Allergies)

Oat topping on pumpkin pie

Growing up, I was never thrilled about pumpkin pie.  I ate it the one time a year at Thanksgiving, but never cared if it was there or not.  But recently I found this crustless pumpkin pie recipe in the many pumpkin recipes that abound at the start of fall.  It sounded good for three reasons
  • I'm too lazy to make a crust (I've heard it's notoriously hard to get right)
  • the store-bought crusts are pretty lackluster
  • and crust has a lot of calories. 

I made crustless pumpkin pie to take to our friends' house for dinner on Friday night.  Their daughter is allergic to wheat, eggs, and peanuts, so I thought this would be a pretty good dessert that everybody could eat, once I made some modifications. 

Recipe Modifications

Typically I add a little wheat germ to the topping to add fiber and nutritious goodness, but that was out with the wheat allergy.  No big deal though, it wasn't in the original recipe anyway.

For the filling I replaced the eggs with a flax seed "egg" and used more flax to replace the flour.  It seemed like the flour was only there to make the mixture drier, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem.  But otherwise everything else went into the bowl as written.  I had panicky moments where I had to remind myself that she's only allergic to wheat, eggs, and peanuts, not dairy. 

I know pie is traditionally made in a pie plate, but my pie plate doesn't have a cover and I hate transferring leftovers to a separate container.  So I make my pie in two small rectangle Pyrex containers and a round 1 quart Pyrex, they have rubber lids and so they can stack easily in the fridge.  Plus splitting it up into multiple containers bakes quicker, only 40 minutes versus the 50-55 for a pie plate.

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!