Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Food Goals for 2013

I decided to write down some of my food goals for 2013.  I typically make standard New Year's resolutions and I try to stick by them, but these are even more fun since I get to do some experimenting in the kitchen.  
  • Try cooking with new foods like fennel, parsnips, rutabaga, turnips.
  • Try out my new pressure cooker, got one for Christmas along with a couple of cookbooks. You can read about my first pressure cooker meal, chicken cacciatore.  I'm on my way to many more dishes since the first one was a definite success.
  • Make a whole beef tenderloin.
  • Buy more local fruits, veggies, meat, and eggs.
  • Toast oats for oatmeal.  Make tea-infused oatmeal.  Make grapefruit oatmeal.
  • Make chicken livers (high in iron).   
  • Make some store-bought items at home -
    • potato chips
    • quick pickles
    • mayo
    • buttermilk dressing
    • vanilla extract
    • Veggie burgers
    • corn tortillas
    • pita bread
    • maybe hamburger buns
    • marshmallows

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!