Friday, March 22, 2013

Another Bowl of Oatmeal: Sweet Potato & Cranberry

Even though most days I eat the same sorts of oatmeal over and over, sometimes I like to switch it up with new flavors. 

Inspiration

The Oatmeal Artist Sweet Potato and Cranberry Oatmeal

The base for my breakfast was one of the multi-servings I made from a big batch of oatmeal, so I'm skipping that part of the recipe here and concentrating on the flavors. 

Ingredients

  • 1/2 sweet potato
  • handful dried cranberries
  • bowl of oatmeal (mine is 1/4 cup oats)
  • 1 T flax seed meal
  • heavy dash of cinnamon
  • 1T non-dairy creamer
  • 2T almond milk

I cooked the sweet potato in the microwave the night before to shorten the prep time in the morning.  It ended up a little too dried out because I cooked it too long.  Maybe I should have followed some instructions, but I though I knew what I was doing.  :)  So instead of winging it, follow these microwaved sweet potato instructions, 4-5 minutes total (not per side!). 

In the morning I heated up my bowl of oatmeal in the microwave for 1 minute. While that cooked, I smashed half of the cooked sweet potato with a fork. I added it to the bowl and stirred, and heated it for another minute.  Then I added a handful of dried cranberries, cinnamon, and a tablespoon of flax seed meal and stirred it all around.  Added the non-dairy creamer and almond milk to slosh around on top.

Verdict

The sweet potato was really nice, not a strong flavor, but it added a little something extra.  I loved how it made the texture creamier.  The cranberries were nice too, little bits of bright sweetness.   I would certainly make this again... and in fact will use the other half of the sweet potato to make another bowl.  Lately I've really been fond of sweet potatoes, so this is yet another dish to add to my repertoire.

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!