Sunday, March 17, 2013

Broiled Avocado With Cheese

cheesy broiled avocado
I love avocados.  For my morning snack I eat 1/4 of an avocado smashed on a brown rice cake with a sprinkle of salt.  Every time I go to the grocery store, avocados are always on the list. I'm a happy camper in winter when avocados really come into their season and they're nice and cheap. 

I totally made a cheater version of this recipe since I did a lot of omitting or substituting of ingredients.  I figured it was close enough to get the concept. 

Inspiration

Eating Well Chipotle-Cheddar Broiled Avocado

I skipped the chipotle since I was considering using my one remaining frozen chipotle in adobo for another recipe.  

Ingredients

  • half an avocado
  • sprinkle of lemon juice
  • shredded mozzarella (I was too lazy to go to the basement to get cheddar)
  • salt

 

 Directions

Cut and pit the avocado.  Sprinkle with lemon juice and add shredded mozzarella.  I put mine in my toaster oven on the 'broil' setting, I think I broiled it for 5-7 minutes to get the light brownness you see in the picture.  I think the toaster oven doesn't get as hot as the oven broiler, plus I might have had the rack further away so it took a little longer.

Verdict

With this I realized I've never had anything other than cold avocado. When it's warmed up, the avocado seems even more creamy and rich.  It was difficult to eat the avocado because the cheese was more solid and the avocado was really soft.  Husband Jeff had a taste and said it seemed really 'green'.  But Sonny D and I ate the rest and enjoyed it. 

I would definitely make this as a side again.   I think it would might make a good bruschetta topping, but you would have to eat it quickly before it cooled.

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!