Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mayo-Free: Chipotle-Ranch Bacon Slaw

Ranch slaw
Husband Jeff doesn't like mayonnaise, so I bookmarked this slaw recipe with the hope that he would try a version of coleslaw.

Sorry there's not a better picture, we ate it pretty quickly!

Inspiration

Kraft Ranch-Style Coleslaw with Bacon

I had leftover green onions and chipotle sauce from making crab cakes, so I figured this would be a good way to use up the last little bits. 

Ingredients

  • 1 bag coleslaw mix
  • leftover bit of chipotle sauce from crab cakes
  • light ranch dressing
  • 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
  • sliced green onions

Directions

Mix all the ingredients together. I didn't measure the dressing since I was adding the rest of the chipotle sauce, so add as much as you need to make it moist.

Verdict

Sonny D wouldn't try it but Husband Jeff and I almost ate the whole batch at dinner!  Husband Jeff kept exclaiming how much he liked it, and I told him it's pretty similar to a good regular coleslaw.  Who knows, maybe he'll actually try regular coleslaw some day. I loved the addition of the smoky chipotle sauce, so it wasn't just one-dimensional ranch dressing flavor. I would definitely make this again a summer party or potluck, either with or without the chipotle addition, I think it would be really popular.  Plus it's something you could throw together at the last minute. 


Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!