Thursday, April 4, 2013

Another Bowl: Apple Butter Oatmeal

Trader Joe's is a great grocery store, they've got things that you didn't know you needed, like this honey apple butter.  I would have probably passed it by, but a friend's mom (hi Renae's mom, Carolyn!) picked up a jar during a Trader Joe's trip and I was enticed by the 'honey' part of the description.  Apple butter is mainly a thick version of applesauce, which normally doesn't thrill me, but add honey to that and I might have to buy it.

Trader Joe's Honey Apple Butter
The base for my breakfast was one of the multi-servings I made from a big batch of oatmeal, so I'm skipping that part of the recipe here and concentrating on the flavors.

Ingredients

  • bowl of oatmeal (mine is 1/4 cup oats)
  • 1 T honey apple butter
  • 1 T flax seed meal
  • heavy dash of cinnamon
  • 1T non-dairy creamer
  • 2T almond milk

Directions

In the morning I heated up my bowl of oatmeal in the microwave for 1 minute.  I added the apple butter to the bowl and stirred, and heated it for another minute.  Then I added cinnamon, and a tablespoon of flax seed meal and stirred it all around.  Added the non-dairy creamer and almond milk to slosh around on top.

Verdict

Sweet and apple-y, but not too sweet. 

I liked this addition to my regular oatmeal.  The honey isn't super noticeable, but I'm guessing it's better than just plain apple butter. Next time I would add an even-heavier dash of cinnamon to match the apple butter's level of flavor.  And this is certainly better than my experiment to add unsweetened applesauce to my oatmeal, that was really boring. 


Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!