Sunday, April 28, 2013

Greek Egg Bake

Blurry cross-section.  I'm always in a hurry!
I was planning on making an egg dish for dinner  and I had leftover spinach-cheese filling from the dinner party crescent rolls, so I used that to my advantage and made a Greek egg bake. 

Inspiration

Hungry Girl Greek-Style Egg Bake

To make this vegetarian, leave out the meatballs.  I only threw them in on a whim anyway. 

Ingredients in the bowl, added two more eggs later

Ingredients


  • 1/4 onion, diced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 oz fat-free feta
  • couple handfuls of spinach 
  • 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes, well drained
  • shredded mozzarella
  • 7-8 turkey meatballs, cut into quarters
  • 7 eggs
  • 8 leaves fresh oregano, minced (I only used fresh because I had it)
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • Black pepper

Ready to go in the oven!

Directions

Preheat  oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8" X 8" baking pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients together and pour into the prepared baking dish.  Sprinkle some additional mozzarella on top so it browns up nicely.

Bake for one hour.

Verdict

A busy Greek breakfast.  

I loved finding the big chunks of feta, but I feel like this might have had too much going on.  Certainly good enough to repeat but maybe cut back on some of the ingredients, like the meatballs weren't really needed.

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!