Tuesday, April 2, 2013

More Carb-Free: Zucchini Parmesan

For dinner with friends I needed a side dish that didn't have any carbs, but also low-calorie for me. 
Sliced zucchini

Inspiration

SparkRecipes Easy Zucchini Parmesan

I didn't really change this recipe other than to use three zucchini since it was for four adults. 

Ingredients

  • 3 zucchini
  • freshly grated parmesan

Zucchini with parmesan

Directions

I sliced the zucchini with my mandoline, I used setting #3, the thickest slice.  I prepped this ahead of time so I wouldn't have to slice with guests in the house and maybe accidentally cut my finger... again.  It was nice to pull the zucchini slices from the fridge, throw them on a foil-lined and sprayed baking sheet, and top them with cheese.

Broiled
Turn on the broiler and broil the zucchini for a few minutes.  I think I started with 5 minutes and then checked on them.   They definitely needed more time, but I used three zucchini where the original recipe might have used only one. I think I went with another 3 minutes, but they could have stayed in longer.

Verdict

This was only ok. It would be a good way to eat zucchini when you're in the thick of the zucchini harvest, but otherwise this was really boring.  I would rather add sliced zucchini to other dishes  rather than have it all by itself.   And it turns out that three zucchini is a lot!  We probably could have easily gotten by with only two zucchini for four people.

Sonny D didn't eat any of this, but that's understandable.

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!