Thursday, June 27, 2013

International Spice: Moroccan Quinoa

I made this recipe when my friend Rachel came over for dinner so Husband Jeff and I could meet her fiance Ron.  They're getting married in October and we can't wait to boogie down on the dance floor at their wedding receiption.  We love to show off our dance moves, even if Jeff has to work hard to keep me on the beat.  I am hopelessly rhythm-less. Rachel, I promise try not to ruin your wedding reception by making a fool of myself.  :)

Inspiration

Anja's Food 4 Thought Moroccan Quinoa Salad 

I skipped the cloves since I've found from previous recipes that I don't like it, also I used regular salt rather than sea salt.  Instead of shredding my own carrots, I went the quicker route and used a 10 oz. bag of shredded carrot.

Ingredients


  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and massaged to remove yucky coating.
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 10 oz shredded carrots
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds 
  • 1/4 cup raisins

Directions

Saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.  

Add the spices and let cook for a minute to let them bloom.  
Before cooking - mixture of carrots, quinoa, and water.
Add the quinoa, water, carrots, almonds, and raisins and stir.  Cover and bring it to a light boil.  Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. 

After the 15 minutes, take it off the heat and let it sit with the lid on for 10 minutes.  Stir and enjoy!
Finished dish.

Verdict

Good spices without it being weird or too much. 

I know you're not supposed to try new recipes out on guests, but I couldn't help myself.  I warned them the dish might not work out, but we were lucky and it was a success. I liked how it was flavorful and interesting without being too unusual.  Our guests requested half of the leftovers, so they liked it as well. 

I would definitely make this again.  I liked how it was pretty hands-off.  Although I admit I was a little afraid of cooking it for 15 minutes and then letting it sit for 10 minutes off the heat, I don't think that's a method I've used before but it worked great.  Next time I would chop the raisins up a bit so they disbursed more throughout the dish and also chop the shredded carrots into smaller pieces.

Sonny D wouldn't try it.  He kept saying "no bop, no bop". "Bop" is Korean for rice. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!