Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Taking it to the Oven: Baked Pancake Squares

I found this recipe on Pinterest, which is a great place to discover random recipes you might not go looking for (most involve loads cream cheese and all look fabulous!).  Making pancakes in a baking dish sounded appealing since I'm not good at making pancakes on the stove.  I've got enough patience to wait until the bubbles stay open before flipping them over to the other side, but that's where I get into trouble.  I'm completely unskilled at flipping pancakes without their tops landing on the other cooked pancakes, so now there's raw batter on part that was already done.  Grosses me out.

I was in a hurry to make dinner this night, that's why there aren't any pictures of the batter.

Inspiration

Big Red Kitchen Pancake Squares

I used almond milk instead of cow milk and added a little baking spice. 


Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 T. melted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • sprinkle of Penzey's baking spice (cinnamon mixture)

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.

Mix together the liquid ingredients and the sugar.  Mix together the dry ingredients. Pour into the sprayed pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes. 
Freshly cooked

dry top

slice of goodness



Verdict 

 A novel way to make pancakes. 

We all liked this and I would totally make it again since I think it's easier than making regular pancakes.  The only thing I would do differently is to leave out the baking spice, it was unwelcome. Usually it's great in baked goods, but as I discovered, it seems that pancakes are supposed to be plain flavored and not jazzed up. 

To me it tasted like there was a lot of baking powder in it, but it might be because I was looking for it.  Not sure what's going on with that, but I've noticed it in other recipes as well.  Probably some weird obsession I've got.   

I would like to make this again in one of our family's favorite pancake variations, banana pancakes.  I think to do that I would reduce the milk to 1/2 cup and add at least one frozen over-ripe banana, if not two. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!