Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Two-Timin' Pasta Sauce

I'm surprised I've never heard of this idea before, mixing marinara sauce with alfredo sauce to make a creamy tomato sauce for pasta.  It seems like an obvious combo when you think about it.  I made this recipe for my mom and her husband when they came over for dinner. 

Oops, more alfredo sauce mix than
what fits in my immersion blender cup.

Inspiration

Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour Two-Timin' Pasta

Instead of using a jar of alfredo sauce, I made my own.  The light recipe I used (listed below) is my favorite, I've used it to make alfredo sauce several times and I highly recommend it.  I really need to try it out on a pizza with spinach, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes.

This can be made gluten-free when served with gluten-free pasta and using arrowroot powder or cornstarch in the alfredo sauce recipe. 

Ingredients

  • 1 jar marinara sauce
  • 1 recipe guiltless alfredo sauce
  • 1 12 oz box of pasta (I used Barilla white fiber mini penne)
    sautee the garlic

Directions

Make the pasta according to the box.  Make the alfredo sauce recipe.  Heat up the marinara sauce.  When the alfredo and marinara sauces are ready, mix them together and serve with the pasta. So easy!


Add milk (I used almond milk)

cook the sauce for a while.  hard to tell, but it's thicker here
mixing the red sauce and the alfredo

swirly combo

turkey meatballs with two timin' sauce

Verdict

Creamy tomato goodness.

Everybody loved this.  We all had several servings of pasta with turkey meatballs.  Sonny D had one and a half servings, so that's a big thumbs up from a toddler. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!