Saturday, June 8, 2013

Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken Tacos

Usually we make ground beef tacos but I know Husband Jeff likes chicken tacos as well, so I thought this recipe that combines taco seasoning and dry ranch dressing powder would be worth trying.

Inspiration

LaaLoosh Crock Pot Chicken Ranch Tacos

I did my standard substitution of chicken thighs instead of breasts.   I don't think the chicken stock is necessary for this recipe when you cook dark-meat thighs since they're jucier than white meat, but I went with it anyway since I had a can of chicken stock.

Ingredients

  • 2 lbs. chicken 
  • 1 packet dry ranch seasoning mix
  • 1 packet taco seasoning mix (I used Penzey's)
  • 14.5 oz. chicken stock

Directions

Simple ingredients (plus the chicken thighs
are already in the slow cooker)
Put the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for four hours.

raw chicken swimming in the mixture

After four hours, remove the meat and shred it using two forks.  My meat had a bit of fat and skin on it, so I used this as an opportunity to pick through and take away any of those bits.  I also strained the liquid since some of the fat and skin had already detached from the meat. This would have also been a nice time to use a fat separator to remove the liquid fat floating on the top, but I don't have a fat separator and would rarely use it, so I accepted that the liquid would just have some fat floating on top. 
Cooked and shredded meat returned to the strained liquid
Let the meat cook on low for an additional four hours, for a total of about 8-10 hours.  You don't need to shred it at the half-way point, but that's when I come home for lunch and I prefer my meat shredded rather than cut.    

I served this with soft corn tortillas, slaw mix for crunch, black olives, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, taco sauce, etc. 

Verdict 

Mild flavor, not really worth the effort.  

The meat was tender and good, but the flavor wasn't amazing.  There was a softness that the ranch seasoning added to counteract the pungent sharpness of the taco seasoning, but it wasn't anything special.  I don't regret making it, but I don't think I need to make this again. 

The can of chicken stock was fine, but I was right, you really don't need that liquid when cooking thighs.  You could probably thicken the liquid by adding some cornstarch and cooking it down.  That would create a nice sauce that would cling to the meat, otherwise you need to strain the meat out of the liquid when you add it to your tacos. 

Husband Jeff liked it so much that he ate at least three tacos.  Sonny D had two servings of meat as well.  He doesn't usually care for Mexican flavors much, so maybe the softer taste made it more appropriate for him. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!