Saturday, May 25, 2013

Brownie Mix Cookies

Chewy cookies with the standard crinkly brownie top
I love brownies made from a box mix.  If there was one food I could eat as much as I wanted and the calories didn't count, I would want box brownies.  So, with that love of brownies going on, I typically ensure I've got a box of brownie mix in the cupboard at all times since you never know when you'll need to bring a treat for work or a dish to pass for a potluck.  Well, those sort of things never spring up on me since I plan ahead... so I guess I'm admitting sometimes I just want to make myself a pan of brownies. 

But I decided to change it up a bit and see what else you can make with a box of brownie mix, so here's a recipe that uses the mix to make cookies. 

Inspiration

Six Sisters' Stuff Double Chocolate Brownie Mix Cookies

I originally started with a different recipe but the mixture was so dry I couldn't stir it, possibly because we were using different size boxes of brownie mix.  I referenced this recipe and I ended up the adding 2 tablespoons of water they called for, and it worked perfectly. 

Ingredients 

makes approximately 45 cookies using a medium cookie scoop
  • 1 box brownie mix - I used the Betty Crocker dark chocolate fudge brownie mix, 13x9 size (19.9 oz)
  • 2T water
  • 1/4 c oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 c chips - I used white chocolate chips since I had the remnants of a bag in my baking container in the pantry, but you could add regular chocolate chips, mint chips, caramel chips, nuts, etc.  
Add a little water and now things look right.

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.  Using a medium cookie scoop, place plops of batter (yes, plops is an official baking term) pretty far apart on the lined cookie sheet because the batter spreads quite a bit. 
a plop of batter.
Bake about 8-9 minutes.  I found that the original 10 minutes was a little too long, I wanted to ensure the cookies weren't hard as rocks, so I took them out at 9 minutes.
Cooling cookies
Let them rest on the pan for about 3 minutes because otherwise they're really delicate.  Then transfer them to a cooling rack.

Verdict

Chewy brownie edges -- as a cookie. 

This is the perfect cookie if you like the chewy brownie edges.   I'm more of a middle-of-the-pan gal who prefers her brownies all soft, so these aren't my favorite cookie.  Nothing wrong with them at all, I just want a different texture. 

Sonny D liked the one we shared after they came out of the oven, but he didn't get any more since I took the rest to work to treat my coworkers. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!