Thursday, May 30, 2013

Making My Own Vanilla Extract

Only ingredients
I decided to finally make my own vanilla extract the other day since it was on my list of food goals for 2013.  It's kind of an involved process, takes a while to fully develop, so I smartly started it now, rather than when my bottle of vanilla runs out.  I don't have much left, so hurry up and become vanilla extract!

I bought the vanilla beans from Arizona Vanilla Company based on a recommendation from my sister-in-law.  Thanks, Theresa!

Inspiration 

Akshayapaatram Home-Made Extracts

I increased the vanilla beans from 3 to 6 because the original recipe used 3/4 cup vodka and I was using a 375 ml bottle (1 1/2 cups), plus I wanted it to be stronger since I always use twice the regular amount of regular vanilla since I like a lot of flavor.

Ingredients

  • 375 ml vodka - I opted for Svedka, I think it's a good brand
  • 6 vanilla beans

Directions

Slice the vanilla beans lengthwise and put them in the vodka.  I'm glad I only went with 6 beans, there was no more room in the bottle, the vodka would have come over the top.
Sliced vanilla beans.

Shake the bottle every day for a week.  

Immediately after putting the beans in.

Morning of the fourth day.  Already looks good!
It should be strong enough to use in two weeks, but I'm going to let it marinate for as long as possible for maximum flavor. I have six more vanilla beans so I can add more beans as I use it up and add more vodka to replenish it. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!