Saturday, May 4, 2013

Oatmeal Banana Muffins

Soft oatmeal banana muffin
I've had this banana muffin recipe bookmarked for several weeks now with every intention to make them but apparently it wasn't a top priority since they didn't happen for a while.  But I finally got my act together and made them. I was intrigued by using only oats and no wheat flour and I wanted to see how that would turn out.   

Inspiration 

the.well.traveled.wife oatmeal banana breakfast muffins

Ground up oats
I read all of the comments and made some adjustments based on that.  I whizzed up the oats with my immersion blender before mixing with anything else.  I also reduced the amount of sugar from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup and used brown sugar for a deeper flavor.  I also added cinnamon, salt, and vanilla paste.  I used the standard muffin technique to mix all of the wet ingredients, separately mix the dry ingredients, and then gently combine the two only until mixed.  If you over-combine, it can cause the muffins to be tough.

Some reviewers substituted almond milk for the yogurt to make it dairy free.  

My first opportunity to use my vanilla paste.

Ingredients

  • 2.5 c rolled oats, whizzed up in blender or food processor
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
  • 1 c Greek yogurt (I used Sonny D's strawberry)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 ripe bananas
Sonny D stirs the wet ingredients

Directions

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pan or use liners.

Wet ingredients plus dry
Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir only until just mixed. Bake 12 min.


Verdict

A surprisingly soft and tender muffin version of banana bread. 

I liked how they were oaty without being dry, dense, or too chewy.

After writing it up, I realize that I had measured out half a teaspoon of most of the ingredients instead of one and half. They were still good but are probably even better if you put the full amount in!   

These turned out quite nice, even with my accidental mis-measuring.  I like really banana-y banana bread (which is surprising since I don't really like bananas much) so next time it would be fun to add another banana and take the yogurt down to 3/4 cup to adjust for the additional wetness.  I would also like to replace the yogurt with almond milk and add the full amount of cinnamon that I had intended this time.  It might also be really good to try a strawberry version.




    Wanna Chat?

    I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!