Thursday, May 2, 2013

Individual Frozen Rice

An individual serving of rice just for you!
I saw this idea on Pinterest and I totally love it. The Food Doodles website showed freezing rice in a muffin tin to get individual servings.  Genius!  I hate it when I find these awesome suggestions like this and find that it's so obvious that I can't believe I didn't think of it on my own.

I regularly make extra rice and freeze it, but I rarely think ahead to split it into smaller sizes.  I usually take whatever amount is leftover and put in a Pyrex glass container with a rubber lid and throw it in the freezer.  Whenever we need rice, I heat up the whole thing, which is sometimes way too much.

I don't know how easy they would be to get out of a metal muffin pan, but mine is silicone, so I can easily pop them out by pushing on the back. 

The process

I recently made a mix of brown and white rice in the rice cooker.  I pressed the rice into each muffin space (wet one hand and use it to press the rice down with your fingers, the rice won't stick) and and froze the rice for an afternoon and then popped out the rice pucks into a freezer bag.   A few days later I needed rice for dinner, so I took our four pucks, added a splash of water (maybe a tablespoon?) and reheated it in the microwave for three minutes.  Hot "fresh" rice! 


Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!