Friday, May 24, 2013

Making Berries Last Longer: or Vinegar is your Friend

strawberries taking a swim in a vinegar solution
Do you ever buy berries at the market and feel like they turned all moldy and gross in less than a day?  I hate it when that happens!  I figured I'd look on the internet for some help on making my berries last longer.  It turns out a vinegar wash is in order.  I typically use a vinegar spray to clean my produce, so this made sense to me.  

My resource was the Food Lush website that told me to use vinegar.  The ratio is 10:1, water to vinegar.  I measured out vinegar and water in a cake holder and gently swished the berries around.  And they lasted a long time, I don't remember when I bought them, but I know they lasted more than a couple days. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!