Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Making Good Use: Roasted Zucchini

I originally bought zucchini to make a dessert with it.  I tried a chocolate chip bars with zucchini and it was pretty much a disaster, so I'm not even going to share that recipe.  Not good.  And I don't think it was the recipe's fault, it was my cockiness in thinking I knew better than the recipe.  I thought there was too much flour in the recipe, so I didn't add it all when I was putting the dough together.  But then it ended up too wet and took forever to bake.  I tested it with a toothpick to see if it was done and it came out clean, but later when I cut into them, it seemed like they were still too wet and not really done.  Sometimes I'm right in my adjustments and then other times I'm woefully wrong.  Oh well.

So, I had a couple zucchini that I needed to use and I figured I would go with a recipe that didn't rely heavily on ratios that I could screw up.

Inspiration

The Gingered Whisk garlic roasted zucchini

I originally wanted to make a gratin recipe but it called for sour cream, which we didn't have, so I moved on.  I chose this recipe of roasted zucchini, which is simple and satisfying.  I wanted to add some thinly sliced onion, but I completely forgot it in my rush to make dinner.

This can be dairy-free if you skip serving it with Parmesan.  I don't think it's required anyway, just a nice way to add a little more flavor. 

Ingredients

  • 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • herbs, spices (I used Sunny Paris seasoning and marjoram)
  • salt & pepper

Directions

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Put all of the ingredients in the bag and mush it around until everything is well covered. 
 
Ingredients lineup.
Dump everything out on a greased baking pan. 
Lay it out in the pan.
Roast for 15 minutes, then flip and stir.  Roast for another 12-15 minutes. 
Zucchini before going into the oven.
I served it with some freshly grated Parmesan.
Zucchini out of the oven with grated Parmesan. 

Verdict

Good way to eat a boring vegetable.  

I liked this, but Husband Jeff and Sonny D wouldn't try it. I ate it for several meals, and after the first day it got pretty spicy from the black pepper.  I didn't think I used that much, but it was surprisingly peppery. 

Wanna Chat?

I turned off the 'leave a comment' feature, so if you want to share what you're thinking about this or anything else, drop me an email at jhk1013 (at) gmail.com. It's so much more cozy than a comment, plus we can have a real conversation!